The Pre-AP/Incentive Program provides a number of unique opportunities that students are encouraged to make the most of and in order to ensure that students are representing the program well and passing on these learning experiences to their peers and community, Incentive students must meet a number of expectations and requirements in order to be accepted and remain in the program. These include:
1. Maintain an academic standing of Proficient or a B-letter grade average or above in all their courses.
2. Demonstrate exemplary attitude and effort, both in and outside of class, including excellent study habits and work ethic, as well as model citizenship in the school and local community. Students should also take an active role in their own learning and in their student life, and look for opportunities to better themselves and those around them.
3. Participation in the following extra-curricular activities (click here for a summary) are mandatory, including:
a. Grade 8-10 – October Multi-grade Camp (approximate cost $325)
b. Grade 8 & 9 – Palmer Science Fair
c. Grade 8 – Camp Strathcona (approximate cost $750)
d. Grade 9 – Social Responsibility Service Hours (see below)
e. Grade 10 – Oregon Performing Arts Trip (approximate cost $950)
*Please note that currently all overnight trips are on hold due to COVID restrictions. The Incentive Program fully intends on resuming this trips once the school and district administration and policies deem it safe to do so.
4. Students are also encouraged and expected to immerse themselves in some of the many extracurricular and leadership opportunities available at the school. These include joining school clubs as members or execs, taking on leadership roles in groups such as Student Council, and competing with the many Palmer sports teams.
Grade 9 Social Responsibility Service Hours
In addition to being a place for academic learning, school is also a place where students become responsible community members, learn to contribute to teams and groups, and take on leadership roles.
Consequently, the Pre-AP/Incentive Program requires every Grade 9 Pre-AP/Incentive student to complete a minimum of 25-hours of volunteer work by May 31st, with service hours being a component for consideration of Pre-AP/Incentive Scholarship applicants. Only hours accumulated during September to May of the Grade 9 year count, but these hours can be used towards the school’s Palmer Service Award.
- Earn hours volunteering with Palmer service groups and other school-based activities
- Claim a maximum of 10 hours per Palmer club or activity
- Earn hours doing volunteer work for the Pre-AP/Incentive Program teachers
Students may NOT:
- Perform the 25 hours of service at a parent or guardian’s place of business unless is it for a non-profit volunteer or charitable organization
- Volunteer for an activity that raises funds for personal gain or for field trips
- Perform all 25 hours at one organization or activity unless pre-approved.
Students should track and verify their own hours with their club/activity sponsor or volunteering supervisor. Any students earning hours outside of school must fill in the form available here:
Subsequent to their Pre-AP/Incentive Grade 9 year, students are encouraged to continue their volunteer contributions throughout high school. Under the current Ministry of Education Graduation Program, all students are also required to complete a cumulative 30-hour volunteer/work component during their Grade 10-12 years in order to graduate.